Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Party of "Caring"

Some people seem to suggest that the Republican Party is uncaring and that the Democrats are the party of caring. If I may be so bold to suggest there are examples of a selfish and extreme lack of caring from both sides of the aisle. However, from what I see, many in the Democratic Party appear to be proponents of cradle-to-grave entitlements, encouraging a psychologically debilitating philosophy of victimization and neediness, playing a self-righteous and arrogant blame game, a disturbing tendency to invoke the race card to quash legitimate debate, and inciting of class warfare to encourage higher levels of voter turnout next year. I don't find any of this to be good for our children and grandchildren and I certainly don't find it positive or inspiring for our fellow citizens and our country's future.

I'm all for a safety net for those who are truly in need. But, what I mean by "cradle-to-grave" is a popular mindset amongst a seemingly growing portion of the population which implies that a person cannot survive or thrive without taking advantage of freebies being offered by the government. Ultimately, it's a dis-empowering mindset which condemns those who buy into it to a life of strife and angst. Case-in-point: some of those at OWS. I'm not for protecting a certain group of people. I'm all for fairness for everyone, not just the "flavor of the week." As for invoking the race card, of course you don't hear that from (many) liberals because they may not even realize they're doing it. They're simply too caught up in their own dysfunctional thought processes. More cases-in-point: Morgan Freeman, Bryant Gumbel, et al. Surely, you can't feel that making people feel they are victims is empowering. However, if we toss aside those at the fringe extremes on the right or left, I still believe there is hope to make this country work fairly for all. Maybe I'm just being naive and an idealist.

No comments:

Post a Comment